Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

Faith & Fashion: But Nobody Cares What I'm Wearing

That's often the reason we use for not dressing nicely, for always throwing on sweats and sneakers. We think that if people are going to judge us based on our clothes, then they are not going to be good friends anyway. To some extent, that is true. We don't want to be friends with people who do not see past the surface.

Dressing nicely has become increasingly important to me. As a stay-at-home mom, it's easy to fall into the jeans and sneakers rut. Luckily, I circumvent that by wearing nicer dark-wash jeans and non-athletic sneakers so that it looks better.

When a person wears a well-put-together outfit and looks nice, she looks more professional and more confident in herself. That look can help us feel that way too. And it can open up doors that we wouldn't have otherwise thought were there. The other night I dressed up to go to a MOPS meeting and the next day in an e-mail exchange on another topic with another mom I met there, she complimented me on the outfit I'd been wearing. This opened up a new direction of conversation and I sense a good friendship starting to be formed.

1 Corinthians 10:31 tells us "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God." Whatever you do. Couldn't dressing fall into that category?

No comments: