Pages

Monday, April 02, 2012

I Don't Know Anything About How Prayer Works...It Just Does

I found out today that someone I met a little over a year ago had a stroke and is in the hospital, and basically, nothing short of a miracle will save his life.  That sounds drastic, I know, but that is how it was presented.

His name is Matt Nagle, and he works at an organization called The Hope Center in Kansas City, MO.  The Hope Center is doing amazing work in the inner city and while I encourage you to look at their website, right now I'd like to request your prayers for Matt and his family.  You can find the story on his Caring Bridge page.

This afternoon, there was a prayer service at 4:00 p.m., attended by people in Kansas City, and attended through prayer by people all over the place, myself included.  Later today, Matt's wife Molly posted an update that listed the many things for which she was thankful, including this one:
For the pastors of our church held a prayer session on Matt’s behalf.  Molly was very grateful for everyone who came and prayed for Matt at 4 pm – while Matt’s inter-cranial pressure dropped to 22.  !
It was this specific line in bold that had me burst into tears, because, you see, in an earlier update, it said the following:
On a scale of 1-20 (with 20 being the highest the swelling can be in his brain without putting him at significant risk) Matt is currently at a 32. 
I don't believe in coincidences, and I do believe in God's healing power.  I don't know how prayer works, or why sometimes it seems as if God answers prayers and sometimes it seems as if God doesn't answer them.  But I do know that when so many people are united in prayer, it is beautiful, and good.  I know that in prayer, people put aside their differences, their arguments, their selfishness.  It no longer is about us as individuals, but is about selflessly letting God's love be transmitted through us in ways that we just do not understand.

So please, pray for Matt Nagle today.

Pray in the Spirit at all times in every prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert and always persevere in supplication for all the saints. --Ephesians 6:18

No comments: