Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What I Learned From the Baptists

This post is one in a series of posts about what I have learned from the different denominations and religions that have come into my life.  There may be more than one post per denomination.  To see the others, click on the "What I Learned" label.

If I was a betting person, I would bet that the fairly traditional church that I attended on Easter Sunday this year is not the type to have people show many emotions or raise their hands during songs.  So it was all the more surprising that during one song, I felt that I wanted to do so.  Now, I am really not the type to do this.  In fact, I think this was only the third time I have ever done it.  I have known many people who do, and in the times that I attended Baptist churches, it was a common occurrence.

I know that for me, one very big reason I have not made this a part of how I worship is because I worry that I'll look silly or wonder what people will think about it.  I want to be in control of my emotions and be strong.

In doing that, though, I am not completely free.  I am still bound by whatever it is--pride, worry, fear, [insert your own word] that keeps me from making worship about GOD.  By worrying about it, I am putting the focus on me and taking it off of God.  How appropriate, though, that I felt the freedom on Easter to finally do this...in a place where it is uncommon.  So a big thank you to the Baptists for teaching me that one aspect of freedom in worship.

The song was "In Christ Alone", and I knew I'd heard it before, but it wasn't one with which I was very familiar.  Here's it is; have a listen.  And maybe, just maybe, you can raise your arms a little bit, just to see what it is like.  If you need some tips about how to do it, check out comedian Tim Hawkins' instructions.

The first video is the song "In Christ Alone" with lyrics; the second video is comedian Tim Hawkins.




No comments: