Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Book Review: Finding Our Way Home

Finding Our Way Home
I received an electronic copy of this book for free as a part of Multnomah Publishing's Blogging for Books program.

First, this was the very first book I read electronically as that was the only option for me to read it. It didn't work on my computer so I read it on my phone. This is part of the reason it took me a long time to read. I do appreciate the author's attempt to write about a subject (dance) that she knew little about, as she writes in the afterword. Writing is not an easy craft, and is something that one puts one's heart and soul into.

The other reason it took me a long time to read was that I just didn't enjoy the book. I wanted to, but I felt that the characters were somewhat static and flat; it was difficult to relate to them. I also found the mystical element of the snow globe to be out-of-place and a bit weird. While Sasha's change of attitude towards people and life was welcomed, it was also predictable.

There was language in the book that seemed to be very "trendy" in an attempt to be relevant but I found it distracting and forced.

The character of Evelyn did make me smile and laugh at times, and the relationship she forges with Sasha is good for both of them.

The book wasn't bad; it was just simply ok.

No comments: