Pages

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Album Recommendation: Treva Blomquist "So We Would Know"


Treva Blomquist is a singer/songwriter from Arkansas who offered me a free copy of her album "So We Would Know" which releases on iTunes today.  I know nothing about music or reviewing music, and she was ok with that; she just wanted to share it with people who might be blessed by it. And I was.
Description of "So We Would Know" from www.trevamusic.com:  "So We Would Know" is 11 songs about God’s goodness, faithfulness, mercy and love.  These songs are based on old hymn texts I’ve found, most of which were written in the 1700-1800’s.  It’s old hymns made new. 
I smiled when the first song, "Where Freedom Speaks", came on, because it was both simple and beautiful; a voice and a guitar, which just happens to be my favorite type of music to listen to and it's not something I hear often.  I listened to it twice at first, and really liked it.   Now, I am not a person who normally listens to music on a regular basis.  Most of the time, because there is so much noise in my house from my children, I choose silence when I have the opportunity.  But I found myself wanting to play it more and even found myself singing songs from it later in the day.

Although I was only familiar with two of the hymns, I loved how Treva made them new to me.  Too often, hymns get relegated to being "outdated" or "old-fashioned" and "boring", and I sometimes feel sad that they have been replaced by lyrics that use words such as "wanna" or "na na na na na".  There is often a depth to hymns that can be missing from more modern songs, and Treva's way of putting them to new music is something that I enjoyed listening to, and I think others will as well.

You can get four free songs here: http://www.noisetrade.com/treva

No comments: