Pages

Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Why I Haven't Been Blogging

I haven't blogged regularly in months.  There are many reasons for this and I figured I'd write about them today.

  • My older son started full-day Kindergarten this fall so there are a lot of school papers and notices and activities to keep up with.  This also means my younger son is home alone with me.  So I spend all day with a three-year-old who doesn't have his big brother to play with anymore.  He's a handful.  I find things like his lunch under a blanket on the couch or his drink behind the couch.   Or cookies with a bite or two taken out of them on the platter.  He loves to talk and ask questions.  And did I mention he is three?
  • The usual household stuff: laundry (lots), grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning.
  • I've been gone two weekends to go to weddings and even just making a short trip is a lot of work with a 6 & 3 year old.  
  • I've been doing a lot of cooking and baking.  Each week during the fall we host college students for spaghetti, homemade sauce, homemade bread, and chocolate chip cookies (see above comment about the three year old and cookies).  It's not just any college students.  Football players (especially Offensive Linemen) eat a lot.  A LOT.
  • These kids go through a LOT of laundry that constantly needs to be done.
  • I'm not not-writing.  When I have found time to write, I've been working on a novel.  It's been a wonderful creative outlet for me and I am excited to be writing it.  I don't know when I will finish or if it will ever make it to publication, but I love it and am enjoying it.  I am thankful that the fiction writers in my writing group inspired me to rediscover a love for fiction.
  • I've been doing some social media management/marketing/graphic design stuff for a non-profit on a volunteer basis.
  • I've been doing some social media management stuff for an athletic team.
  • I've been doing some social media management for "The Despised Ones" blogging collective. 
  • I've been doing some volunteer stuff for my son's class & school
  • I (attempt to) attend a weekly women's Bible Study and I have another small group on Sunday evenings in addition to regular church on Sunday mornings.
  • I have gotten somewhat burned out on blogging (though I still love writing).  The blogging world is so fast-paced, so competitive, so if-you-are-not-doing-this-you-will-fail, somewhat cliquish, and I wonder what I am doing and why I am doing it.  I don't think and write fast enough to react to other posts and events out there.  I read posts that make me think "yeah, I already wrote about that" or "that's what I wanted to say" and there are people who probably read mine and think "yeah, I figured that out already and wrote about it 10 years ago".  It sometimes seems as if "there is nothing new under the sun".
  • And speaking of Ecclesiastes, I have a post about it that has turned into a series that is still in draft form--it started as just a few hundred words reflecting, and then ended up at 2000-3000 words, and led me to listening to a Peter Rollins talk on Ecclesiastes which led me to reading his book Insurrection.  I also have other draft posts--I just don't feel it is all that urgent to post them until I think some more about what exactly my writing calling IS.  So I will post periodically (hosting synchroblogs for The Despised Ones, a collaborative post I am working on with a friend, etc.) and may have more time to write around Thanksgiving and Christmas (but even so, I may use that time to work on my novel and not blog).  
So that's why the blog has been pretty silent lately.  

4 comments:

Joy Newcom said...

I haven't blogged since January. But I have been writing too. The ebb and flow. Fun, huh?

Kelly J Youngblood said...

Yeah. I was still feeling kind of bad about not blogging until just now when I went and reread this post and was like "well, duh, no wonder you haven't been blogging." It was very freeing to read my own words as if I was reading them from someone else.

Kelly J Youngblood said...

I think I've edited this post 3 or 4 times to add in things I initially forgot.

Kelly J Youngblood said...

And apparently I didn't include any of the links I wanted to. This post just might win the record for my most edited-because-I-keep-forgetting-things post ever.