Pages

Sunday, May 06, 2012

The Haiti Saga Continues

In my Haiti series, back on March 26th I wrote about one of the churches I visited in my Church Shopping Saga.  In this post, which I called "Brokenness", I wrote about how I didn't think my random messages about Haiti were over, and they are not.  Although it's been some time since I've written anything about Haiti, my thoughts still turn to it quite often, whether it is due to rain and wondering how people are faring there with fighting cholera, or because I continue to see random references to Haiti and wonder what God is telling me or for what He is preparing me.

This morning, we visited that same church again, and I was amazed at what transpired.

Let me tell you a little bit more about that previous visit, though.  That day we were there, there was an envelope in the bulletin specifically for money being collected for orphans, and there were 4 (I think) options to choose from to which one could allocate the money.  One was Haiti.  I immediately got out my checkbook and wrote a check, and in the notes section provided on the envelope I wrote that I was glad to be able to give something concrete because Haiti had been on my mind and heart for months.

And now, for what happened today.

Today was the end of this drive that they were doing, and as the woman spoke about it, she pulled out all of the forms and envelopes on which people had written their testimonies as to why and how they felt led to give money to this project.  And I heard my words that I wrote weeks ago being read back to me.

I had no idea before coming what would happen this morning; it was just the next church to visit in our round of visiting churches.  I introduced myself afterwards, and told her who I was, and so we talked about Haiti.  She introduced me to two people who had recently taken a trip to Haiti, and told me about a company here in my town, called Vibella Jewelry, that works with women from Haiti (and other places) who make jewelry out of recycled soda bottles!  I hope to visit this company in the next week or so (and I'll blog about it after I do).

I feel this tingling of anticipation that something is building, yet I still don't know exactly what it is that is being built.  I still don't know why.  Why Haiti?  And yet, the why is becoming less and less important for me to understand or to even ask.  Now, it is more "it doesn't matter why, but what does God want me to do?"  Perhaps that is an important step, a step in obedience, a step in trust, a step in faith.  What is God calling me to do?  How will He use my interests and my skills in whatever He has planned?

I am excited to find out (ok, and a bit scared too, if I'm being honest, because it's all unknown), and if you are the praying type, I'd appreciate your prayers in this area...in whatever way you feel led to pray.

No comments: